Monday, August 15, 2016

"Faith is not an event, it's a journey."







I was listening to this sermon from Hillsong Church in Sydney, Australia last week called "Root Remedy" and thought about how God always offers me a solution to every problem. Pastor Chad Veach talked about how we often try to solve problems with temporary fixes in life but when we find Jesus we find a solution for the root of our problems. It sounds weird to be honest, that Jesus would be the answer to my financial problems and that Jesus would be the answer to my struggle with eating disorders, but it's true.



When I became a Christian nine years ago I thought that this event would give me answers to all my spiritual questions in life and nothing more than that. I had no idea what I was about to experience. Jesus became more than the answer to my spiritual questions, he became the solution for every single problem I had. I had been struggling with body image issues for years and been on the border to developing eating disorders for a long time, but as I grew in my relationship with God I was able to make peace with my body. I started to realize that God had made me exactly like this for a reason and still I walked around thinking thoughts like "I wish my body was more like this and less like that." I finally started to see myself the way God sees me, as a beautiful and unique daughter of His and not as an object who needs to look a certain way to be worthy of love and acceptance.



Another thing I used to struggle with was fear and worry. I was one of those people who could get worried about almost anything and let fear consume my mind and steal my joy and peace. I'm also a control freak, and controlling things was my way of trying to feel safe. I thought that I had to be in control and make everything perfect to be okay, but instead I found out that it was when I finally decided to give up control and trust God than I found a peace and security in life that I had never felt before. I know that my life is in the hands of God and he's got me. There will be moments when my trust in him waivers of course, usually when I get distracted and start to focus on everything else but God. In times like that I have to remind myself to get back to focusing on God and remember that He is in control and I am not.



The amazing thing with God's character is that he always has more for us. When we think that this is it, this is how good life is going to get, God has more for us. When I think "I'm always going to have these issues" God has more for me. God says: "No, I've got more for you, I can offer you a whole new life!" Just when you think that your marriage is over, just when you think that you can't take it another day, just when you think that your business is going to fail, just when you think it's the end Jesus shows up and says: "I've got more for you, more than you could ask for, more than you could ever imagine."




No comments:

Post a Comment